Do you remember the first massage you ever received? My first professional massage is something I still remember with delight, over two decades later. I was gob-smacked. Awed. How could something feel so wonderful?
If you enjoy massage you probably have a similar story to tell. You appreciate the deep relaxation, the relief your muscles feel as the tension of every day wear and tear melts away, the quietening of a busy mind, and you are restored to yourself. As one of my clients recently said “massage reminds me how I'm supposed to feel”.
As a massage therapist in my seventeenth year of practice, I still think about that first massage. So grateful to that first massage practitioner for her skill, care and inspiration. To create that feeling for someone else is the aspiration I carry into every treatment. Perhaps if you are yet to experience massage for yourself, you might like to hear about the types of massage we offer…
What is a Remedial Massage?
How does a massage practitioner find the right spots? I like to tell my clients, perhaps only half-jokingly, it's a “little bit of science and a little bit of magic”. A practitioner designs a remedial massage to treat specific conditions. It may be especially helpful for back and sciatic pain, neck and shoulder tension, arthritis and posture-related aches and pains. Sports and work-related injuries also benefit from remedial massage. Treatment will include assessment, assisted stretching and a home maintenance plan.
- A 90-minute treatment is great for clients who wish to treat multiple problem areas. Clients may combine this with a maintenance massage for the rest of the body. Patients who wish to have a full-body remedial massage treatment are advised to book a 90-minute appointment. $130
- A 60-minute treatment may be used to treat a specific problem area combined with a maintenance massage for the rest of the body. Alternately, the client may prefer to use the full hour to address 2-3 major problem areas. $90
- A 30-minute appointment is focused on a single problem area. This may include related muscle groups associated with the primary problem. $60
What is Relaxation Massage?
This is a soothing massage incorporating aromatherapy, acupressure and therapeutic pressure. The practitioner lengthens contracted muscles to renew from head to toe. This is an effective treatment for stress, overwork and symptoms of anxiety.
- A 90-minute session allows enough time to deeply relax. Drift into a dream-like state and emerge with a sensation of contentment, bordering on bliss! $130
- A 60-minute relaxation massage lulls you into a state of worry-free contentment. An escape from everyday life that follows you into your day. $90
What is Pregnancy Massage?
We use a specially built pregnancy support pillow. This allows you to feel comfortable during your massage no matter what stage of pregnancy. This is a gentle, safe and nurturing style of massage. It is designed to relieve postural tension, improve circulation and stimulate cell nutrition during this time of additional stress on your body. Many clients also find that they simply feel better about themselves and better able to stay in touch with their changing bodies. This is a nurturing treatment when growing a baby often feels like hard work.
Light strokes are used to gently stimulate the passage of lymphatic fluid. This improves the flow of lymph out of tissues and back into the blood. Lymphatic massage has been found to improve immune function by increasing filtration through the lymph nodes and the elimination of wastes.
The movement of lymph increases the dispersal of swelling caused by injury or surgery, decreasing healing time and inflammation. Fluid retention may occur during pregnancy. Patients who have had lymph nodes removed as part of cancer treatment, also find benefit with this type of massage. People usually sleep very well after a lymphatic massage treatment. So, this is a great option for those that have sleep difficulties or chronic fatigue.
Which Massage is Right for You?
If you can't decide which massage is right for your needs, call the clinic to speak to a massage practitioner. Then go ahead and book yourself in for a massage today.