This week I was experimenting with bliss balls. These are the tasty little snacks filled with power foods, that many people are making instead of cookies (also called biscuits or bikkies if you grew up in Australia as I did) these days.
- 1 cup of pitted Medjool dates
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup of organic coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp vanilla protein powder (I used Nutra Organics Thriving Protein Exotic Vanilla in this recipe but you can use whichever one you have handy)
- 2 Tbsp flax meal
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut (to roll them in at the end)
Note: if you don't have Medjool dates, just put a cup of dried, pitted dates in a small saucepan with a cup of water. Stir until most of the water is absorbed and the dates are a soft paste. Add to recipe as follows.
Variations to try: Add 1 tbsp of chia seeds, it's also a good way to include a plain non-acidic vitamin C powder (such as Melrose Calcium Ascorbate), spirulina, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon or blueberry powder.
- In your food processor put all the dry ingredients (except the coconut for rolling) and mix well. Add the dates, banana and oil until it is a soft, smooth paste. It might even feel a little too soft, but remember coconut flour absorbs moisture quickly and it needs to be a good consistency to roll into balls. They will become firmer once they are in the fridge.
- Roll about a tablespoon of mixture into balls and roll them in the coconut. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or they can be frozen and brought out when needed, to thaw. I challenge you to make them last more than a few days, everyone is going to want one!
Makes about 25-30 delicious bliss balls. Share with your friends and family. A lovely addition to a cup of tea mid-way through the day 🙂